Dr. Mary Bruck Ed.D.
- Certified educational leader and academic administrative professional with expertise and extensive experience in higher education administration.
- Certified as a Family, Circuit Civil, and Appellate Mediator by the Supreme Court of Florida with expertise in negotiations and conflict resolution. Co-mediated in EEOC cases.
- Presented trainings on special education mediation and working through conflicts in Individualized Education Program (IEP) facilitation and development as defined by IDEA 2004.
- Used conflict resolution strategies in higher education administrative placements.
- Certified as a Title IX Investigator through The NCHERM Group LLC & Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA).
- Certified as an IEP Facilitator (Florida Department of Education).
- Developed and implemented policies and procedures for Florida state board rules and regulations for: dispute resolution, education of exceptional students, and serving underrepresented populations in gifted education.
- Prepared rules for revision through the Florida Senate.
- Appointed to higher education committee by the Florida Commissioner of Education.
- Chief Enrollment Services Officer (Interim Vice President Enrollment) State University of New York
- SUNY Oneonta, Appointment through the Registry 2014 through September 2015:
- Vice President Enrollment Management & Student Affairs (Interim), Kansas City Art Institute , Appointment through the Registry (2013-2014
- Vice President Enrollment Management/Student Services (Interim), Minnesota State University, Appointment through the Registry (2013)
- University of Mary Bismarck, North Dakota, Director of Admission (Interim), Beacon College Leesburg, Florida, Vice President Enrollment Management & Academic Programs 2007-2010
- Teacher Education Institute, Winter Park, Florida, CEO Teacher Education University, 2004-2007
- Carlow University, Pittsburgh, PA , Assistant Professor/Director Graduate Studies for Educational Leadership- 1995-2003
- Florida Department of Education, Bureau of Education for Exceptional Student and Services; Tallahassee, Florida Specialist/Gifted Education- 1992 -1995 and as consultant 2007-2008
- SCHOOL BOARD OF PALM BEACH COUNTY, West Palm Beach, FL
- Supervisor of Gifted Programs, and Classroom Teacher-1980-1992
- SCHOOL BOARD OF PALM BEACH COUNTY- West Palm Beach, FL Teacher-
- Classroom Teacher: three years’ experience teaching self-contained third-grade students.
- Classroom Teacher: four years’ experience teaching science and social studies to K-6 students.
Selected Professional Accomplishments
- Appointed by the Florida Commissioner of Education, Dr. Eric Smith, as a member of the College Reach Out Program Advisory Council. 2009
- Presentation accepted for the Oxford Round Table, Harris Manchester College in the University of Oxford, Oxford England. 2009
- Received approval from Commission for Independent Education for state license for Teacher Education University. Developed: three graduate level majors, policies and procedures manual for faculty and students, course syllabi for courses in all program majors (educational leadership, education technology, and curriculum). Marketed program and recruited students. 2006
- Awarded grant for Project LAPSE: Legal Awareness Preparation for Special Education by Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of Higher Education Initiative to develop training manual and implement pilot training for 1997/1998 IDEA Re-Authorization Act.
- Co-Directed Javits Grant for Project Enterprise Pittsburgh, a federally funded project with the Pittsburgh School Board, United States Department of Special Education, and Carlow University; the only Pennsylvania grant funded in 1997 from the U.S. Department of Education Javits’ endeavors related to gifted-student education.
- Appointed to County Steering Committee for Gifted Education by Pennsylvania State Representative Veon.
- Contributed to development of proposed rule change for Florida State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03019, Programs for Students Who Are Gifted.
- Authored Technical Assistance Paper on Educational Plans for Gifted Students, Florida Department of Education.
- Authored “School Law” course. Teacher Education Institute. Winter Park, Fl. Course implemented and awarded credit through the College of St. Rose, Carlow University, and Notre Dame of Ohio.
- Authored “Engaging Students in Critical Thinking” course. Teacher Education Institute. Winter Park, Fl. Course implemented and awarded credit through the College of St. Rose, Carlow University, and Notre Dame of Ohio.
- Authored “Study Strategies for School Success: Research Based Strategies” course. Teacher Education Institute. Winter Park, Fl. Course implemented and awarded credit through the College of St. Rose, Carlow University, and Notre Dame of Ohio.
- Adjunct Professor, Florida Atlantic University; instructed graduate-level courses in gifted education.
- Adjunct Professor, Nova Southeastern University, instructed graduate and undergraduate courses in education to non-traditional undergraduate and graduate students. Also served as site-coordinator for the undergraduate and graduate, West Palm Beach Site.
- Developed, implemented, and instructed Palm Beach County School District state-approved add-on endorsement course in gifted education.
- Instrumental in establishing schools-within-schools concept, Palm Beach County School District.
- Served as expert witness in court cases related to education.
- Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Major: Educational Leadership, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Educational Specialist in Gifted (Ed.S.)
- Major: Educational Administration and Gifted Education, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Master of Education in Reading (M.ED.)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania,
- Indiana, Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.)
- St. Francis University, Loretto, Pennsylvania
- K-12 Administrative (Florida), Principal Certification (Pennsylvania), ESOL (Florida), Elementary (Pennsylvania), Reading (Florida), Gifted (Florida), Reading Specialist Certification (Pennsylvania)
- Reading Supervisor Certification (Pennsylvania), Certified in Conflict Resolution – Pittsburgh Mediation Center – 2002, Certified in Mediation – Pittsburgh Mediation Center – 2004
- E-PRO Certificate – 2004
- Master Life Coach Certification (2010)
- Certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator, Circuit Civil, and Appellate Mediator, (2010-2018)
- Post Graduate Studies – education law courses and training through Franklin Pierce Law Center (Concord NH) and through British American University: member (student) California BAR (2002)
- University of Notre Dame – Essentials in Negotiations and Conflict Resolution Certificate, Mendoza School of Business (2009)
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Strategies for Working with Higher Education Students from Economically Challenged Backgrounds”, State University of New York SUNY Oneonta Diversity Conference, January 2016.
- “Special Education Mediation” - Florida Department of Resolution Conference, Orlando, Florida – August 2012.
- “Women in the Supreme Court of the United States: Sandra Day O’Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsberg: Trailblazing for Gender Equity” – Oxford Round Table – Harris Manchester College: University of Oxford, U.K. July 2009.
- “Understanding the Mediation Process in Special Education” – Florida Department of Education Mediator Update Training, Orlando, Florida – April 2008.
- “Gifted Girls/Smart Women” – Capital Area Intermediate Unit, Harrisburg, PA – February 2003.
- “Gifted Girls/Smart Women” – AAUW (American Association of University Women) – Murrysville, PA – September 2002.
- “Gifted Girls/Smart Women” – Carlow University – Women in History Conference – Pittsburgh, PA - April 2002.
- “Gifted Children: Overview of Identification and Curriculum Issues” – Franklin Pierce Law Center – Summer Institute for Education Law – Concord, NH – July 2000.
- “Bibliotherapy and the Social/Emotional Needs of the Gifted” – Pennsylvania Association for Gifted Education – State Conference – Philadelphia, PA – April 2000.
- Engaging Students in Critical Thinking, Bruck, M. , TEI Course and Student Guide, 2006, Teacher Education Institute, Winter Park, Florida.
- School Law: Knowing the Issues, Bruck, M., TEI Course and Student Guide, 2006, Teacher Education Institute, Winter Park, Florida
- Study Strategies for School Success: Research Based Strategies, TEI Course and Student Guide, 2005, Teacher Education Institute, Winter Park, Florida.
- “Recognizing Advanced Intellectual Abilities in Pre-School Age Children” Bruck, Mary F. (2003), Gifted Education Press Quarterly, Winter 2003, pages 10-11.
- “The Importance of Teacher Preparation Programs to Appropriately Serve Students Who are Gifted” Toll, Mary F. (2000), Understanding Our Gifted, Winter, 2000, pages 15-176.
- “Positives Aspects of Full-Time Programming” Toll, Mary F. (1993), Understanding Our Gifted, November/December, pages 1-3.
- “Gifted Learning Disabled: A Kaleidoscope of Needs” Toll, Mary F. (1993), Gifted Child Today, January/February, pages 34-35.
- “Full-Time Gifted Programs: Where Do I Begin?” Toll, Mary F. (1991), Gifted Child Today, November/December, pages 13-14.
- “Full-Time Programming” Toll, Mary F. (1990), Understanding Our Gifted, November/December, page 12.
Radio & Newspaper Presentations & Columns:
- KQV, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania – June 1997 “Leadership for the 21st Century Program and High School Students”.
- KQV, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania - March 1998 “Teacher Training for Gifted Programming”.
- Inspiring Times – Greensburg, PA “ASK DR. BRUCK”.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Education Law Association, Phi Delta Kappa, Council for Exceptional Children, NAFSA
Professional Teaching /Administrative Certification
State of Florida:
Areas of Certification: Administration/Supervision (K-12), Gifted (K-12), ESOL (K-12), Reading (K-12), Elementary Education (1-6),
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
Areas of Certification: Elementary Education (K-6), Reading Specialist (K-12), Elementary Principal, History and Government (Secondary), Supervisor Reading (K-12)
- Past Member Municipality of Murrysville Pennsylvania Zoning Hearing Board
Certified in Conflict Resolution:
- Pittsburgh Mediation Center
- Special Education Mediation (Atlanta Justice Center)
- Atlanta Justice Center (Special Education Mediation),
- Florida Supreme Court Certified in Family Mediation, Circuit Civil Mediation, and Appellate Mediation
- Professional Grant Writing Certificate (2005)
- Certified as a Master Life Coach (2010)
- Distance Education Training Council (DETC) Evaluator (2006)